What Do You Do When You Have Nothing to Say in a Conversation?
1. There is a universal sentence pattern: “Please advise, ……”
2. It’s not that you have nothing to talk about, it’s that you’re obsessed with your topic. We can give up our topic first and create a topic that the other person will enjoy.
For example, when you learn that the other person is raising a dog at home. You can ask for advice:
“I also raised a small dog a few years ago. At that time, I couldn’t succeed in training him to go to the toilet. Later, I had to give it away. May I ask you, how did you train the puppy to go to the toilet?” The attitude of sincere advice, the other party will seriously help you.
How about this, asking for advice is easy to learn, right? You can use this trick when you don’t know what to talk about.
3. Did you notice that in the last tip, there is one more tip, and that is self-disclosure. For example, when introducing yourself at the beginning, talk about your weaknesses, or failures. This way, it is a natural thing to advise you. Example:
You ask a couple you just met at a party: “How long have you been married?”
“Ten years,” he said.
You go on to say: “Wow! Seeing how you both look in love, I want to learn from experience. I’m not married yet, and I’m having a girlfriend (self-disclosure). May I ask you, what’s the secret to keeping your relationship fresh?”
He smiled and said: “Cultivate a long-term, common hobby…”
One more example:
At a certain dinner party, you talk to the person next to you: “I see that you are eating very healthy, and your plate is full of green vegetables.”
He replied: “I’ve been going vegetarian lately.”
You go on to say: “Oh, I want to try vegetarian food this year too, but I’m just not determined enough (self-disclosure). Please tell me, how has a vegetarian diet changed your life?”
He said: “Vegetarianism has allowed me to lose 10 pounds. In the past I…”
4. During the conversation, if the other party asks you to give advice, you should not say modestly “I have no experience in this” to refuse others. Even if you don’t have any advice, just say what you have, the other party is not really looking for advice, but just passing on goodwill.
5. After the opening, how do you continue to chat? You can look for keywords in the content of the advice given by the other party, and then expand the keywords. For example, the keywords “pet“, “marriage” and “weight loss” mentioned in the above examples can be expanded.